Monday, March 21, 2011

T-Mobile Editorial

T-Mobile, Fail

I see T-Mobile is being 'acquired' by AT&T ... didn't the Federal Government break up an AT&T Monopoly just a few years back?

But, that's not what this is about. What it is about is a failure of corporate entities to respect their customers. Not unusual, but getting much worse.

Late last year I ordered a Data Stick for broadband access from T-Mobile. I liked the idea of unlimited broadband access for only about $40 a month. Of course, if I had received what they promised, I would not be writing this.

I got the Data Stick, activated it using the credit card I use for such things, and discovered it did not work. I called their customer service number to report my dissatisfaction and was told to return the device within 15 days and I would be opted out under their "Buyers Remorse Program". Sounded fair enough.

Using the enclosed return shipment sticker, I returned the device to T-Mobile in Dallas where it was signed for by an employee. Less than 15 days had elapsed so I figured the deal was done.

I waited several days to hear from T-Mobile that they had the device and that my account was closed with a $0 balance. But no notice came. I called T-Mobile again to check on things and was told by 'Willa' that I need not worry, the account would be closed at the end of the next billing cycle and I would owe nothing. Red Flag!

The next day I received a bill from T-Mobile for $57. I called again and was told by another drone that I could disregard the bill because my account was set to be closed and reset to zero balance. But I was suspicious and upon checking with my credit card company discovered that T-Moble had extracted the $57 from my account.

Now, I am becoming a bit angry and frustrated having been lied to and charged for something I did not possess and never used at all.

I contacted my credit card company, told them to reverse the billing by T-Mobile and block them from billing again ... ever.

The next month I received yet another bill from T-Mobile for $40 ... apparently for broadband usage ... so I called their customer service again and was told the usual, I can just ignore that and all is well, yadda yadda ...

This is when I decided to go elsewhere for help. First I contacted and filed a formal complaint with The Texas State Attorney General. I also filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission through econsumer.gov. How much good this will do, I do not know, but they have a good track record.

The next month I received a third bill for a device I do not possess and broadband usage I did not access, ever. This time the bill was for $50. The bill was very confusing, containing charges which had been added then subtracted and other charges which they claim I still owe.

Each bill has been a different amount and that in itself is very odd considering I have done nothing to even deserve being billed for in the first place. Also, according to the fine print in the bill, if I do not pay this immediately I will be turned over to collections.

This prompted a second and third on line complaint from me with the Attorney General, and just for backup I sent a formal letter to his office in Austin. I also sent formal letters to T-Mobile Financial in California as well as T-Mobile Billing in Dallas.

If T-Mobile's goal is to anger and frustrate their customers, they have succeeded. If their goal is to provide customers with a pleasant experience, they have failed. Simple as that.

It occurs to me that it is their main goal to extract money from everyone they can. First by billing your credit card or bank account for services not rendered, and secondly by sending bill after bill hoping you will weaken and pay after being threatened with collections which will harm your credit even though it is unjustified and careless. The legal definition of this activity is 'Extortion'.

I hope my experience and dealing with it will be helpful to others found in a similar situation.

No comments: