Friday, September 18, 2009

Equifax, A Precaution:

This is somewhat off my main theme, but I feel it's important just the same.

Equifax, A Precaution

Signing up for Score Watch? What they promise and what you get are not the same. Plus, they don't really care.

The website says 'Get 2 credit scores for $9.95'. What it really means is 'Get 2 credit scores for $9.95 EACH', a small, but important distinction calculated to increase profits with no additional effort on their part.

After getting a credit score and half assed credit report I waited a full month before accessing my second report (which they led me to believe was included). The second report was exactly the same as the first report, as was the score.

I complained to customer service, which appears to be in India. They told me that a second report will not necessarily be different from the first report. They then proceeded to withdraw another $9.95 from my checking account.

I complained to customer service yet again because now I have paid twice for one score. They told me in so many words that you get what you get.

I complained yet again (always by email, to document the responses) and was dismissed. I asked for a refund and was told no refunds. They apparently have a license to steal.

So, I drafted a letter to :

    Governors' Office of Consumer Affairs
    2 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SE, Suite 356
    Atlanta, Ga 30334-4600

in which I documented all that has passed between me and Equifax, as well as my idea of a solution.

I then drafted a letter to:

    Equifax Credit Information Services
    PO Box 740241
    Atlanta, GA 30374

in which I quoted from emails and described that at no time did anyone offer to help, but implied that I should shut up and go away.

They have a monopoly on the FICO score, so at some point you will probably have to do some business with them. Folks, all I can say is know what you may be in for before purchasing products from an off shore, greedy, indifferent corporation like Equifax. They have been sanctioned dozens of times by the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) for poor respose to customer complaints, but show no sign of honoring consumer rights.

No comments: